1959 was a year of transition for the venerable Strat. In May of ’59 we revised the way necks were made, switching from a one-piece maple neck to maple capped with a “slab” rosewood fingerboard. We also changed the pickguard, moving from 1-ply construction to the current three-ply material, and upped the number of screws from eight to 11, which also necessitated changing the body’s control route. These changes didn’t happen overnight; many guitars exist that show various combinations of these features, which makes them extremely rare and collectible. Reflecting these historic idiosyncrasies, the maple fingerboard model sports a 1-ply, 9-hole Parchment pickguard while the rosewood fingerboard model sports 3-ply, 10-hole Mint Green nitro pickguard.
The two-piece alder body, ash on aged white blonde wears a Heavy Relic lacquer finish, giving it the look and feel of a well-loved guitar that’s seen countless stages, while the tinted riftsawn maple neck is fast-playing and comfortable, thanks to the “’63 C” neck profile, 9.5”-radius fingerboard and 21 6105 frets. The trio of Hand-Wound Fat ‘50s single-coil pickups includes a reverse-wound/reverse-polarity middle pickup to reduce hum. Other features include five-way switch, Vintage Modified #2 wiring, American Vintage synchronized tremolo bridge, vintage-style tuning machines, bone nut and wing string tree. Includes deluxe hardshell case, strap and Certificate of Authenticity.
- 2-Piece alder body, nitrocellulose lacquer Heavy Relic finish
- Tinted rift-sawn maple neck, '63 C profile, Heavy Relic nitro finish
- 9.5"-radius fingerboard, 25.5" scale length, 21 narrow-tall frets
- 3 hand-wound Fat '50s Strat single-coil pickups
- Middle pickup reverse-would, reverse-polarity
- Vintage Modified #2 wiring
- 5-way pickup selector
- Master Volume control with Tone-Saver Bleed
- Bridge Pickup Tone Control
- Middle and Neck Pickup Tone control
- American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo vibrato bridge/tailpiece
- 1.59" bone nut; vintage style tuning machines; wing-style string tree
- Factory string gauges: 9–42
- Includes hardshell case, strap, certificate of authenticity